To tackle these urgent and important issues, XChange Reality! uses XR as its technical foundation and combines the following two approaches:
A participatory hackathon
The hackathon part starts with a keynote speech on the impact of OpenData by Arturo Sanchez (CERN/CH) which shows what opening up data can achieve for our social system. Inspired by the talk, we create a purpose for every individual need of each participant of the (third cultural) hackathon on how AR can help create a better future. Starting a “conversation that matters” is the beginning of a new future. “Being present” among others could be a first step. Join the (cultural) hackathon, make your vision in XR visible to the public, and present it to an international audience. No advanced knowledge is neccessary - all kinds of interested people are welcome. We’ll finish with another talk about the biggest project human and social sciences has ever seen. Stay tuned!
An interdisciplinary conference
The conference part of XChange Reality! brings together specialists from various research areas of the digital humanities such as animation, games and media studies with experts from both vision-oriented computer science areas such as computer graphics or information visualisation, and experts from technically-oriented computer science areas such as data integration, Internet of Things or smart automation. By encouraging synergies of interdisciplinary approaches, the conference examines the state of the art within the XR area from different angles and creates new knowledge in the present for the future.
The thematic fields of both approaches include:
- GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives and museums, etc.)
- Urban and regional development (environment, architecture, tourism, art and culture, etc.)
- Industries (manufacturing, construction, creative, etc.)
Technical topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Hardware/software support for XR
- Interdisciplinary and intermedia approaches (e.g. games, film, theatre, fine arts, etc.)
- Motion and/or performance capture
- Tools/methods/use cases for interactive dissemination of XR content
- Use cases and applications of content in XR environments
- User acceptance of XR contents