Together with the Institute of Health Sciences (IGW) and the Institute of Creative\Media/Technologies (ICMT), the Center for Digital Health and Social Innovation (CDHSI) looks back on an extremely successful summer for research on the topic of gait and motion analysis.
Seven papers in high-impact journals, six presentations at international conference, and then the highlight in September: the third place in the Best Paper Award at the biggest European conference for clinical gait analysis: the ESMAC (European Society of Movement Analysis for Adults and Children).
Interdisciplinarity as the Key to Success
The common denominator of all projects is that experts from technical fields such as machine learning, virtual & augmented reality, and sonification collaborate closely with health experts.
The sheer volume of high-quality scientific output is remarkable and highlights the overall strategy of the St. Pölten UAS: “We expand our research by increasing our interdisciplinary focus”. You can read more about the Strategy 2025 of the St. Pölten UAS on our website.
We congratulate all researchers at the IGW, the ICMT, and the CDHSI on these outstanding achievements and are looking forward to further pioneering research in the future.
Overview of Research Achievements
- de Jesus Oliveira, V. A., Slijepčević, D., Dumphart, B., Ferstl, S., Reis, J., Raberger, A.-M., Heller, M., Horsak, B., & Iber, M. (2023). Auditory feedback in tele-rehabilitation based on automated gait classification. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00779-023-01723-2
- Dumphart, B., Slijepcevic, D., Zeppelzauer, M., Kranzl, A., Unglaube, F., Baca, A., & Horsak, B. (2023). Robust deep learning-based gait event detection across various pathologies. PLOS ONE, 18(8), e0288555. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0288555
- Horsak, B., Eichmann, A., Lauer, K., Prock, K., Krondorfer, P., Siragy, T., & Dumphart, B. (2023). Concurrent validity of smartphone-based markerless motion capturing to quantify lower-limb joint kinematics in healthy and pathological gait. Journal of Biomechanics, 159, 111801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2023.111801
- Horsak, B., Simonlehner, M., Dumphart, B., & Siragy, T. (2023). Overground walking while using a virtual reality head mounted display increases variability in trunk kinematics and reduces dynamic balance in young adults. Virtual Reality. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10055-023-00851-7
- Horst, F., Slijepcevic, D., Simak, M., Horsak, B., Schöllhorn, W. I., & Zeppelzauer, M. (2023). Modeling biological individuality using machine learning: A study on human gait. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, 21, 3414–3423. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csbj.2023.06.009
- Slijepcevic, D., Zeppelzauer, M., Unglaube, F., Kranzl, A., Breiteneder, C., & Horsak, B. (2023). Explainable Machine Learning in Human Gait Analysis: A Study on Children With Cerebral Palsy. IEEE Access, 11, 65906–65923. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2023.3289986
- Horst, F., Hoitz, F., Slijepcevic, D., Schons, N., Beckmann, H., Nigg, B. M., & Schöllhorn, W. I. (2023). Identification of subject-specific responses to footwear during running. Scientific Reports, 13(1), 11284. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-38090-0
- Wondrasch, B. (2023). New approaches in rehabilitation after cartilage repair & retrun to sports. 17th World Congress of the International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS). Barcelona, Spain.
- Horsak, B., Eichmann, A., Lauer-Maier, K., Prock, K., & Dumphart, B. (2023). Concurrent assessment of a smartphone-based markerless and marker-based motion capture system in pathological gait. Gait & Posture, 106, 79–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2023.07.098 (3 Platz Best Paper Award)
- Dumphart, B., Slijepcevic, D., Kranz, A., Zeppelzauer, M., & Horsak, B. (2023). Is it time to re-think the appropriateness of autocorrelation for gait event detection? Preliminary results of an ongoing study. Gait & Posture, 106, 50–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2023.07.064
- Guggenberger, B., Horsak, B., Habersack, A., Smith, C., Svehlik, M., & Kainz, H. (2023). Internal lower limb rotation increases patella cartilage pressure in individuals with patellofemoral instability. Gait & Posture, 106, 71–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2023.07.088
- Holder, J., Stief, F., van Drongelen, S., & Horsak, B. (2023). A comparative analysis of kinematic simulation results obtained by manually and automated scaled OpenSim models during walking – preliminary findings. Gait & Posture, 106, 80–82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2023.07.099
- Slijepcevic, D., Horst, F., Simak, M., Schöllhorn, W. I., Zeppelzauer, M., & Horsak, B. (2023). Towards personalized gait rehabilitation: How robustly can we identify personal gait signatures with machine learning? Gait & Posture, 106, 192–193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2023.07.232