The Digital Health Lab is an interdisciplinary research lab at the interface of healthcare and digital technologies. It focuses on patients and experts from different health professions.
Copyright: Helene Sorger (top left and right), Fabian Altphart (bottom left) und Florian Kibler (bottom right)
Here students can actively engage with relevant measurement and analysis systems as well as interactive media technologies and learn how to use them in a profound manner. The continuous use for research and development at St. Pölten UAS ensures that the laboratory is always equipped with the latest infrastructure.
Copyright: Helene Sorger
The Digital Health Lab combines the competences of Machine Learning, Visual Analytics, Virtual & Augmented Reality, Motion Capturing, Human Computer Interaction and Ubiquitous Computing with topics from the fields of physiotherapy, dietetics and health care and nursing. The following laboratories and equipment are part of the Digital Health Lab:
The Interaction Lab offers room for developing and testing interactive installations and prototypes for the research fields Ambient Assisted Living (AAL), Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing, and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI).
- Augmented and Virtual Reality systems for RoomScale applications (Microsoft Hololens 2, HTC Vive Pro, Magic Leap, etc.)
- Professional hand-held 3D scanner (Einscan Pro 2X)
- Volumetric space capturing with in-depth cameras
- Connected sensors, microcontrollers, and IoT applications
- Smart devices and mobile terminal devices
- 3D printer for prototyping
Body Composition Lab
The Body Composition Lab (BCL) offers the measuring equipment needed to determine aspects of the human nutritional status, e.g.
- Methods/instruments to determine anthropometric parameters (such as body height, weight, and girth)
- Instruments to measure the body composition with a focus on bioelectric impedance analysis (BIA) from leading suppliers of medical technology
- The stationary measuring method of indirect calorimetry (IC) using Quark RMR (Cosmed) for assessing the human energy balance (including basal metabolic rate, resting metabolic rate, postprandial thermogenesis)
Motion Capturing Lab
The Motion Capturing Lab offers state-of-the-art methods for gait and motion analysis in a clinical context as well as for the fields of animation/VFX and Virtual Reality.
- Motion capture system (Vicon) for comprehensive 3D gait and motion analysis, cinematic character capturing, and live avatar retargeting for VFX and immersive storytelling
- Markerless body and volumetric capturing using Multi Azure-Kinect Setup
- 8-channel electromyography system (Noraxon) for quantifying muscle activity using surface electrodes
- Pedobarography system (to measure pressure distribution) for clinical gait analysis (Zebris)
- Force measuring plate to capture ground reaction forces (Kistler)
- Ultrasound devices to show anatomical structures
- Hand-held dynamometer (MicroFET2) and various clinical (sports) motor test methods
- Large-scale projection for exergaming and immersive scenarios
- Roomscale Virtual Reality Setup (HTC Vive Pro Wireless)
Part of the virtual campus tour
360 degree view! Discover the Digital Health Lab in the virtual tour.
Where can I find the labs of the Digital Health Lab on campus?
📍 Interaction Lab: B.2.07
📍 Body Compositon Lab: B.2.08
📍 Motion Capture Lab: B.2.09
Download Navigation Guide (PDF)